Wiadomość
Autor
Awatar użytkownika
frontier
wannabe
wannabe

Writing the killer CV

#1 Post autor: frontier »

Niezly artykul, polecam wszystkim! Chyba czas na nowa linie mojego CV: v9.x :)

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/00405.html

Abstract

The market is a very different beast to what it was a couple of years ago... ah, the good ole days hey! The dotcom bubble burst, and other companies simply realised that investing in technology and being the first to be buzzword compliant wasn't actually providing much real business value. The result? Lots of spare developers on the market and much more competition.

With the competition high and literally hundreds of developers going after the same jobs, it is important to get yourself to that all important interview. Thus, it is even more critical than ever that you have a good CV. This article gives advice on how to write high impact targeted CV's.

Where Am I coming From?

I'm a consultant myself, so I get hired and also hire other contractors to work on my teams. So I get to see a lot of CV's. My father has also spent the last 9 years working as a professional career consultant and has written CV's for just over 1000 people. Now, I'm not saying that the method I'll describe in this article is the best, but I personally find it works. It also isn't exactly rocket science either.

I'll start by considering the filtering process that happens, and use that as motivation to write the killer CV.

Filtering CV's

Right, lets say I've got 200 CV's on my desk for one position. (Granted, agents normally do most of the filtering work, but lets suppose I get sent 200 for the sake of this discussion). I need to get this list down to 10 that I'm prepared to read fully and I've got one hour to do it in. Here's what I do:

Step 1: Anything longer than 4 pages. Can't be bothered to read. --> In the bin
Step 2: No profile or list of skills on the front page. Don't want to search for them. --> In the bin
Step 3: CV is a big essay with sentences. No bullet points. Too much hassle to read. --> In the bin

Okay, how many have I got left? Lets say the answer is 100. What's next?

Do a quick 10 second scan of each front page:

Step 4: Profile and skills on front page does not really match requirement. --> In the bin

Okay, I'm now down to 40. Time to build a 'potentials' pile. Back to the 10 second scans.

Step 5: Profile and skills on front page exactly match requirements. --> keep

I'm now down to 10 CV's and it is time to look past the first page. These are the non technical qualities I will be looking for:

At least the last 6-12 months work are directly related to the skills required.

The candidate has contracts that have been renewed. Lots of small contracts and no renewals can indicate trouble.

The candidate has worked for blue chip companies.

The candidate has a good academic background.
Any candidate meeting the criteria will potentially get interviewed. The interview stage then filters out the blaggers and weirdo's :-)

What Is A CV For?

A CV is designed to get you an interview. Nothing else.

What Is A High Impact Targeted CV?

During the filtering process you literally have 10 seconds to make an impact before you get put into the bin. Simple as that. If your front page does not scream at the reader 'I'm perfect for the job' then the CV has failed to do it's job.

A high impact targeted CV creates a high impact on the front page with the CV content tailored directly to target the position you are after.

What NOT To Put On The Front Page

You only have one sheet of A4 to make that 10 second impact. So, if you start listing all your schooling you did 20 years ago and the fact that you love squash and have a clean driving licence that isn't really going to get you the job. Unless of course you are applying to be chauffeur driving squash playing teacher!

Here's a list of pointless information that wastes space on the front page:

A list of schools you attended with examinations, grades, addresses. Who cares! Tell me you have the list of skills I'm after.

A list of hobbies. Who cares! Tell me what you¡¦ve achieved by applying the skills you have.

Your work history. Who cares! Tell me what benefits your clients have gained from your work. Why should I hire you?

What SHOULD Be On The Front Page

You need to convey the message to the reader that you are precisely the person for the job. You need to show that you have the skills they are looking for and that you have demonstrated use of those skills for other clients and provided business value to those clients by utilising those skills.

There are essentially 4 sections to the front page of a high impact CV:

1. Your name, address and contact details.
2. A profile of you. 4 lines.
3. List of skills. Bullet points.
4. List of achievements. Bullet points.

Here's an example:

Joe Bloggs
1 main street, London ABC 123
Tel: 01234 5677889
Email: joebloggs@pleasespamme.com

Highly proficient SENIOR ANALYST PROGRAMMER with 10 years experience building Financial Risk applications for major blue chip clients using OO, C++, Oracle, UML, ADO. Full life cycle knowledge, including RUP, SSADM, and PRINCE methodologies. Now seeking next rewarding opportunity to make a successful impact in a customer focused team.

EXPERTISE

C++ (8 years)

Oracle (version xyx, 9 years)

OO, Rational Rose, UML, OCL

Design Patterns, Design By Contract

SSADM, RAD, DSDM, XP, SCRUM

(and so on ¡V you need about 10 bullet points here)

ACHIEVEMENTS

Successfully re-engineered existing risk analysis application cutting down the run time from 30 minutes to 10 seconds. This enabled fund managers to real time risk analysis figures resulting in the company being more competitive in the market place, increasing revenues by 50%.

Taught and mentored junior developers in OO techniques resulting in significant productivity rate increases and less time to market. Increase in speed of development enabled IT to become more responsive to clients demands for change and enhancements.

Automated manual reconciliation of system data with market data resulting in task being completed with 100% accuracy in 1 minutes, as opposed to 3 hours.

That's it. The difficulty, in my experience, is coming up with the achievements. You really have to dig deep and think about what business benefits you added by building software for your clients.

The Next Couple Of Pages

This is where you list you work experience. No essays. Short and sweet, using bullet points. It is here that you are explaining the things you built and what skills you used. You should also add some benefits as well if you can. Here's an example taken from my own CV:

www.mlhsbc.co.uk - Merrill Lynch HSBC - Global on-line brokerage and banking
Development Team Leader - Retail Banking
Feb 2000 to July 2001 (18 months, 3 renewals)

Managed team of 5 developers for the design and development of retail banking functionality. Responsible, end to end, for implementation of requirements: From marketing requirements, through design and development, into UAT, and release.

An 8 tiered architecture, built using Object Orientation. An ASP front end with a number of distinct tiers written in COM+ linking to a back end mainframe.

And so on¡K¡K.

A few things to note: Explicitly list the number of months you were there and the number of renewals. This tells the reader that you are reliable and that people value your work. Stick to bullet points. No one wants to read essays. Another tip is to highlight the keys bits in bold text so they stand out. That's just a personal preference.

The Last Page

This is where you list your Education, training, and hobbies. Keep this compact. If you have a degree and 5 years experience then you don't need to list every subject and grade of every GCSE.

Targeting The CV

You now have an idea of perhaps how to improve your CV so it shouts at the reader and stops them putting you in the bin with all the other essay writers!

Now you need to make sure that the CV is targeted for the role you are going after. This is the easy bit. If the job advert says they are looking for a trapeze artist then you dress the CV up to make it look as though you are the best trapeze artist in the whole of the country. If they are after a lion tamer then the same rules apply.

The key here to make sure that your CV is tailored for the position that you are applying for. It will not be uncommon for you to have different multiple copies of your CV to be used for different roles. You need to play on the strengths and experience you have gained from previous positions and showed that you have key transferable skills that can be applied in the new position. So, if you are going for a trapeze artist position for which you have 3 years experience, but have done 5 years lion taming, is would be best to tame the lion taming (oh, excuse me on that one, not intended) experience down and focus on the trapeze experience.

Closing Comments
The method I've described here for formatting CV's is just one way of doing it. Might not be the best, but for me it has worked.

I hope that the article has been useful to you and that it will help you in your job search in these tough time of the market.

Good luck

Dave Chaplin

Jan 7, 2003

Awatar użytkownika
balam
wannabe
wannabe

#2 Post autor: balam »

Bardzo fajny artykul, a ze niedlugo bede zmienial prace jak najbardziej sie przyda :mrgreen:

Seba
CCIE/CCDE Site Admin
CCIE/CCDE Site Admin

#3 Post autor: Seba »

No niezle :wink:
Tego artykulu akurat nie widzialem w czasie tworzenia swojego CV, spotkalem kilka innych porad, i jak widze pewne elementy sa bardzo podobne. Dodatkowo moje CV przegladala kolezanka malzonka, ktora swego czasu prowadzila rekrutacje, i w sumie jej poprawki/sugestie byly dosc zbiezne z cytowanym artykulem :wink:
Musze przyznac, ze moje CV, puszczone w swiat, bylo ostatecznie bardzo bliskie podanemu idealowi :twisted: I robota sie znalazla, ba ofert w pewnym momencie bylo calkiem sporo, i mowie tu wylacznie o powaznych. Wiec cos w tym jest :wink:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
A. Einstein

Awatar użytkownika
wannabe
wannabe

#4 Post autor: guest »

Brzmi dziwnie ale ma to sens :)
btw trzymacie sie moze szablonow np EU format cv czy innych ?

Awatar użytkownika
awo
CCIE
CCIE
Kontakt:

#5 Post autor: awo »

EU format jest bardzo OK - zwlaszcza ich metoda opisu zdolnosci jezykowych.
Ale EU ma jedna wade zabiera duzo miejsca.

Osobiscie preferuje forme tabelaryczna.

No jedna uwaga metoda pisania CV podana w artukule bardzo dobrze pasuje do rynku tzw. wolnych strzelcow - u nas praca tego typu jest coraz bardziej popularna ale jednak jest to wyjatek :-(

cobico
wannabe
wannabe

#6 Post autor: cobico »

Seba pisze:No niezle :wink:
Tego artykulu akurat nie widzialem w czasie tworzenia swojego CV, spotkalem kilka innych porad, i jak widze pewne elementy sa bardzo podobne. Dodatkowo moje CV przegladala kolezanka malzonka, ktora swego czasu prowadzila rekrutacje, i w sumie jej poprawki/sugestie byly dosc zbiezne z cytowanym artykulem :wink:
Musze przyznac, ze moje CV, puszczone w swiat, bylo ostatecznie bardzo bliskie podanemu idealowi :twisted: I robota sie znalazla, ba ofert w pewnym momencie bylo calkiem sporo, i mowie tu wylacznie o powaznych. Wiec cos w tym jest :wink:
Wyslij kopie :mrgreen:

slimak

#7 Post autor: slimak »

ciekawe... chyba sprobuje przerobic na ten styl swoje CV i powysylac ciekawe czy to cos da. Macie moze jakies przyklady przelozenia tego na prace etatowa? Bo IMHO nie da sie tego zastosowac w 100% do pracy na etat.

piotro
wannabe
wannabe

#8 Post autor: piotro »

To co frontier wkleil znalazlem rowniez kiedy szukalem pracy tu w UK, przecwiczylem rozne wersje CV, reagujac na odzew rekruterow na kolejne wysylane wersje. Potwierdzam - te rady, ktore sa w tym tekscie, po umiejetnym zastosowaniu w CV powoduja bardzo wyrazne zwiekszenie odzewu od rekruterow (testowane na kruterach w UK ;) ), nie polecam natomiast pomyslow typu pogrubianie, kursywa tych najbardziej kluczowych slow, fragmentow, kompletnie odwrotny efekt. A pamietajcie, ze CV jest tu tylko zeby dostac sie na interview.

slimak

#9 Post autor: slimak »

musze sie nad tym bardziej zastanowic ale narazie to troche widze ze sekcja "osiagniecia" w pracy na etat administratora moze byc imho dosc krotka taki freelancer ktory generalnie ma zlecenia raczej chyba glownie wdrozen to faktycznie ma tutaj co wpisac.

Mozecie mi jeszcze napisac ci to jest format EU pisania CV bo prawde mowiac to pierwsze slysze :roll:

Awatar użytkownika
voytar
wannabe
wannabe

#10 Post autor: voytar »

slimak pisze:Mozecie mi jeszcze napisac ci to jest format EU pisania CV bo prawde mowiac to pierwsze slysze :roll:
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/

Wpisując w gogle "eu cv format" znajdziejsz sporo informacji.

Seba
CCIE/CCDE Site Admin
CCIE/CCDE Site Admin

#11 Post autor: Seba »

Tak w uzupelnieniu, podczas zabaw z formatowaniem idealnego CV, nie zapominajmy, ze w sumie zawartosc jest jednak najwazniejsza :wink:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
A. Einstein

Awatar użytkownika
gangrena
CCIE/CCDE
CCIE/CCDE

#12 Post autor: gangrena »

slimak pisze:musze sie nad tym bardziej zastanowic ale narazie to troche widze ze sekcja "osiagniecia" w pracy na etat administratora moze byc imho dosc krotka
To zalezy od konkretnego zakresu odpowiedzialnosci, ale w przypadku admina tez da sie cos napisac. Powymyslajmy troche:

- Osiagniecie pieciu 9 (czyli 5 min awarii w skali roku) w zakresie dostepnosci uslug dla klientow wewnetrznych i zewnetrznych.
- Zoptymalizowanie transakcji bazy danych, ktora przelozyla sie na zwiekszenie produktywnosci o 10%.
- Migracja bazy uzytkownikow na nowy serwer firmy X model Y. Poprawiono tym samym szybkosc dzialania bazy oraz jej skalowalnosc.
- Konfiguracja redundantnego polaczenia oraz implementacja load-balancingu, dzieki ktoremu wzrosla dostepna maksymalna przepustowosc o 30% oraz dostepnosc uslug do czterech 9.
- Wykrycie i usuniecie bledu w czasie backupu danych. Dzieki temu uniknieto utraty danych z calego miesiaca (zakladajac, ze blad powtarzal sie przez miesiac).
- Wyczyszczenie z kurzu wiatraczka od zasialacza serwera Z. Dzieki tej operacji zwiekszyla sie skutecznosc wydalania ciepla z wnetrza serwera o 40% i zwiekszylo niezawodnosc systemu do 100% :wink:

Nie musza to byc rzeczy wielkie. Moga byc mniejsze, jak wykrycie bledu, ale trzeba zaargumentowac, jakie pozytywne efekty nasze osiagniecie przynioslo.

Paulus
CCIE
CCIE

#13 Post autor: Paulus »

Z tymi osiagnieciami to bym nie przesadzal. Agenci kazali mi tylko dopisac zakres obowiazkow w poprzedniej pracy. CV wprawdza na interview i nic wiecej. Jezeli piszesz ze masz X lat doswiadczenia w Y, taki a taki certyfikat to po prostu w to wierza i wysylaja na interview. Tam nastepuje czesciowa weryfikacja i selekcja, a prawda wychodzi dopiero przy pracy.

Awatar użytkownika
marcins
Site Admin
Site Admin
Kontakt:

#14 Post autor: marcins »

heh odswieze temat bo niedawno otworzylem swoje cv i sie przerazilem :) moze nie tyle trescia, co forma ;)
anyway cv to tylko po to aby potem zadzwonili, ni mniej ni wiecej..

cobico
wannabe
wannabe

#15 Post autor: cobico »

A ja musze rozczarowac wszystkich zwolennikow krotkiego CV. Mialem spotkanie w Belfascie i wrecz miano do mnie pretensje ze moje cv jest takie krotkie (1,5 A4) Dzwoniono takze do mnie z Irlandii Polodniowej i musialem szybko powiekszac cv. Takze to nie dokonca tak jest z szybkim i krotkim cv. Sadze ze najwieksze agencje rekrutacyjne nie maja poprostu czasu na przegladniecie duzego cv i odbywa sie wszystko za szybko. W konsekwencji odrzucani sa wysokiej klasy specjalisci. To sie zmienia :)

ODPOWIEDZ